Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Book Reports

The students are writing their book reports on Touching Spirit Bear. I have allowed them to write them in either essay format or business document format (meaning block paragraphs with headings).

They have mostly turned out quite well. The interesting thing is that in this assignment, I noticed a marked difference in the writing quality of those students who have been blogging every day and those that just entered the class. It is absolutely wonderful to see how far those who have been in my class have come since they started. I know, too, that those who are just starting out are going to see great improvement in their writing skills, and that is going to make school, GED tests, and workplace writing so much easier for them in the future.

Sometimes it just strikes me how important this work is and how much good it is doing, even if the students don't really realize it yet.

No comments: