Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thoughts on How the Project is Going

We have been up and running with the Blogamundo Project for about a month and a half.

Wow!

It seems like I've been doing this forever and it seems like we've come so far. This is quite a revelation for me. I was feeling like I wasn't getting very far, and that I really wanted to be more organized. Now that I've realized I've really only been doing this for less than two months, I don't feel so bad. I think we've actually made some good progress.

Things to feel good about:
  • The students come in and log into Blogger without me telling them.
  • We have a routine set up for getting people onto the blog system which works well (as long as Blogger is cooperating).
  • I have a weekly schedule set up that helps me with planning M:Technology, T:Writing/Grammar Lesson, W:Journal, Th:Writ/Gram Lesson, F:Editing/Free Journal.
  • We have streamlined the blog time so that we rarely run into our reading time.
  • We have hosted an Open Blog Night to introduce parents to the project and show off our blogs.
  • Students are getting excited about different types of writing. Some students enjoy one aspect and some students enjoy another, but almost everyone has gotten excited about at least one writing assignment.
  • With the focus on editing, student's writing has improved a lot. They know what I'm talking about if I say, "Capitalize your title."
  • I see less and less use of text messaging slang, such as "u" instead of "you."
  • The students are able to self edit and even ask each other for help sometimes instead of me.

Things to work on:

  • Getting students to edit as they go instead of going back and fixing their mistakes.
  • Practice reading their work aloud so that they can hear what is wrong with it.
  • Better incorporate other types of media into their blogs.
  • Figure out how to catch up new students with certain blog assignments that they really need to do.
  • Make a checklist of assignments that are critical to the project for each student to have.

No comments: