Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Weird Week

We have a weird schedule this week because of Veteran's Day on Tuesday. So we came to school on Monday and I decided to do some testing instead of blogging. Then we had Tuesday off and now we're back for three days. I'm having trouble deciding what to do with these three days.

Since I want the students to have a chance to experience authentic writing, I am really trying to give them a lot of say in what we are working on in the project. This morning, one class really wanted to take pictures to put on their blogs, and so we went out and did that. Then another class really wanted to stay in, so I had them finish old blogs and then asked for a subject matter. Someone facetiously said, "Falling asleep in class" so I told them they could write about techniques for that, and then gave them a couple of other ideas to write about sleep. Most students chose the topic of researching teenagers and sleep.

So far, I like the results of having the students a little more involved in their own choices on the blogs. I think they are at a place where they know a little more about blogs now, so they feel better doing this. It is easier for them to think of things to write, now that they sort of have a feel for it.

No comments: