Monday, October 6, 2008

The Second Week

I started today with sentence combining work. I gave the students three simple sentences and asked them to combine them in as many ways as possible. They did a pretty good job. As usual, there are some students who work more quickly than others, so I was able to differentiate quite a bit by just asking them to use different forms of the verbs (ie: wearing instead of wore) and then told them they could add extra information in order to add descriptions that would help me see the picture they imagined.

They are picking up the technology part of this project very quickly. I think I only had to help one student log in today and they are able to navigate their way around Blogger pretty well now without explicit directions from me.

One problem I still have is that it takes a long time for the initial setup and it is a bit tricky to incorporate that into the 20 minutes I have alotted for this writing every day. I only have 90 minutes to work with, so if I go longer, they lose time with reading skills time. I have to work on this and see what I can figure out. I have my assistant working with them to get started right now and I think I'll wait to see if it speeds up as she learns the process better or if it just takes that long no matter what. That will help me see what else I can do to fit it in better. Unfortunately, new students is a recurring theme in an alternative setting like this.

No comments: